It’s that time of year. Lights are going up, trees are being decorated…and everyone is busier than ever.
In the hustle and bustle it can be easy to overlook sharing some holiday cheer with members. Our end-of-year task lists are long, and we are hesitant to add one more thing.
So, what are some easy ways to let members know we’re thinking of them? We asked fellow association professionals to share some tips with you.
- “Last year we sent members and vendors an email that linked to an interactive web page with fun holiday surprises. Staff got involved in providing holiday-themed freebies such as a dessert recipe, an easy craft to do with the family, a song, and more. We received a lot of positive feedback!” – Alyssa Gibson, American Association of Orthopaedic Executives (AAOE)
- “We design a physical holiday card in-house and send that out to our members.” – Kathy Finley, Ph.D., CAE, CFRE, Organization of American Historians
- “Give your members a way to be philanthropic. Provide charities to support or volunteer opportunities.” – Shelly Pfenninger, Raybourn Group International (RGI)
- “At a past association we created a year in review newsletter with photo collages from all of our events.” – Stu Kushner, ISAE
- “Add some fun and friendly competition! Have members submit photos of decorated offices, ugly sweaters, pets dressed up, etc. and have staff, volunteers or an online poll choose a winner. Then recognize them in your holiday communication.” – Ashley Roy, RGI
How does your association show appreciation to members during the holiday season? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.